Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Summer Camp Request

Today, when I was home at lunch, Jamie announced he was tired of being home, and bored, and missed people, so he wanted to go to summer camp.

"What kind of summer camp? I asked, scrambling around in my brain wondering where this all was coming from.

"You know, summer camp!" he replied. (As if that would make it SOOO much clearer for me. I don't know WHAT I was thinking. LOL)

"Jamie, what KIND of summer camp?" I asked (and wondered how the hell I was going to pay for it, even if finally articulated just exactly what he wanted).

"Granny Susan and Grandpa David summer camp, or Uncle Janet and Aunt Alvin* summer camp, or Uncle Joel summer camp!" he practically shouted at me, with tears standing in his eyes. Several of his friends go to summer camp, several other friends go to visit relatives. Jamie was mixing the two notions in his mind. He also isn't feeling good, so that jumbles things even more. Lastly, he gets lonely at home all by himself, and wants to be doing "stuff" with people who love him. And he misses the above-mentioned people great big bunches.

(sigh) Sometimes I forget how hard it can be to be a kid. I also don't know what it's like to be an only child, so I forget that that can get lonely, too. I felt bad for him, and vowed to try to do more stuff together the rest of the summer. Luckily, Vacation Bible School is next week at Spencer's church, and Jamie will be going with Spencer. That should give him plenty of fun stuff to do. I also think he's tired of Mom at this point. Can't say I blame him. I'd be tired of me, too! :-)

*This is an old, old family joke from when my brother and I were little. We used to get the concept of "aunt" and "uncle" switched around, and I kind of carried it on to Jamie.

4 comments:

Suze said...

Oh, poor kid. I hope he feels better.

If it helps, you can tell him that Susan went to 4-H camp one summer and it was the worst week EVER.

Jessi said...

I blame the movies. They make camp into this generic, really fun thing and kids don't realize that it doesn't exist (at least not around here). There's art camp and sports camp and explorers camp and yadda, yadda, and none of them are as fun as where the twins in the Parent Trap went.

I understand, though. I was an only child and summers were especially hard. I never understood why everyone else was so anxious to be out of school and so sad to go back. I needed school just to talk to someone my own age. I was a very little geek.

ann said...

I wish he could come to AnnieDaniel Camp. Another treasure I found when I was cleaning the basement was several pictures he had taken of me, and I of him, when he was about four when you guys lived near the post office. Do you remember that? He was soooooo precious.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I do remember that! I had forgotten until you reminded me about the pictures. Hewishes he could go to AnnieDaniel Camp, too. Would you believe he still sometimes talks about "helping" with your wedding, and how he misses you? He also still wants to play soccer with Daniel. This economy needs to hurry up and get better so I can move closer to all my family!