Tuesday, July 21, 2009

College Updates

Some of you may have noticed by my Twitter stream that I somehow managed to pull off an “A” in both my Criminology class and my Spanish class.  I’m now enjoying having seven weeks of concentrating on my kid, my house(s), and myself.  I’m enjoying this newfound sense of peace and relaxation so much that I dropped the two classes not required for my degree program that I was going to take in the Fall for fun.  I decided that peace of mind and a chance to help my kid through the worries and trials of middle school life – i.e., more homework and stricter homework deadlines, fitting in, making new friends, etc. - as well as a desire to be able to be more active in church and community, was much more important than taking two classes I don’t really need to finish my degree. This way, I can be more present for Jamie’s needs, join Spencer’s church (and sing in the Christmas cantata), and possibly even join a book club or work more on knitting.  I am much less stressed at the prospect of one more semester of school now, and Jamie is much less stressed about starting middle school.  It seems he was afraid I’d be so boggled down with homework and so stressed out all the time, I couldn’t be as readily available to help him adjust to being a middle schooler.  Two much less stressed people equals a much happier household!

6 comments:

Jessi said...

Uggh. Middle school is awful. I can't think of a time in my life that was as terrible and horrible and mind-meltingly miserable as middle school. I tell you this, not to add to your despair, but to say Good Luck. I've already started praying for you both.

Suze said...

Middle school was awful for me, too. Isn't it for everyone? We survived, though.

Knit on, knit on. That's totally what's keeping me sane these days.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

We won't even talk about what middle school was like for me, other than "endless Hell" just about sums it up. I'm praying that the fact that he's been accepted into a magnet school will mean he will encounter students more like him with many similar interests, making it a tad easier to make new friends. Didn't say my prayer was realistic, just that that is my prayer. :-)

Animal said...

" I dropped the two classes not required for my degree program that I was going to take in the Fall for fun."

Yeah. Good call. 'Cause, you know, "not required for degree" and "fun" don't have a lot in common. I took a silversmithing class "for fun" at the end of my undergrad, but only to stay at full-time-student status to keep that all-important health care a-comin'. If you don't have that pressing need…good drop.

Tooz said...

This sounds so promising. It sounds like you're getting a really good run on things. Please let me know the date for graduation, and know that I plan to come, and YES, you do plan to walk. I will sit with Jamethan, and we'll both be cheering as loud as we can. Love you.

ann said...

Pollyanna me remembers having a really good friend in middle school (Suze) and some other headbanger girls who were also nice to me. I hope Jamie has at least one really good friend that makes the rest of it worthwhile.

Christmas Cantata=so much fun! They'll be so lucky to have you!!