Sunday, March 25, 2007

It Happened Again

I'm really getting tired of being freaked out in the middle of the night. It happened again tonight, folks. The back door slams, Ziggy runs barking and snarling to the back door. I freeze, thinking "not again", and by the time I get to the back door, the front door is rattling and Ziggy takes off snarling that way.

And, once again, it happened when I was the only one awake in the house. In fact, this time, I was the only adult in the house. Rachel went out dancing with some friends tonight for a little while after work. I called the cops first, then I called her to let her know what was going on. Then I went and got her wicked-sharp pocket knife and kept it close by until the police showed up.

This time, the officers (plural) showed up in about 10 minutes. They looked around, didn't see anything, asked if maybe it was an animal. I pointed out that the door on the back porch only opens outward. There's no way an animal could make it slam without a long reach and an opposable thumb to pull the door outward, then let it go to make the distinctive "slam!" noise. So they put a concrete block in front of the door, and another one in front of the gate to the back yard. That way, if I hear anything again, they can come out and see if the blocks have been moved or not, signifying if a person had been through there.

I called Rachel at the club, and she suggested it might be a stupid, drunkard of an ex-boyfriend who apparently likes to randomly track her down and beg for her to take him back. I told her that he must be an idiot if it is him. After all, here he's tried to get in the house twice when she either wasn't awake or even home to see! I told her his timing really must stink. Considering she feels never seeing him again would be too soon, she agreed that there is much about this man that is odious (or is it odorous?).

Either way, whomever it is trying to break in is getting on my nerves. I'm thinking maybe its time I got a wicked-sharp 7" blade of my own, so I won't have to keep borrowing Rachel's.

Somebody laid that ancient Chinese curse on me, I guess: "May you live an interesting life." Well, Buddy, I'd settle for boring!

4 comments:

Tooz said...

And to think that you were rejoicing when you moved out of that "horrible" neighborhood into your safe house! I don't know what to tell you, other than to come back to Kentucky, where thieves don't break in and steal (or scare the poop out of you). The last time we had an intruder, it was a squirrel.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Yeah, well, if it's a personal thing, and not random person(s) unknown, then it would have happened even in the apartment. I've talked to all the neighbors around us, and none of them have had similar issues. So I'm thinking it's got to be something personally directed at one of us living here.

And if there were a job available there making the same pay or better (after factoring in the fact that Texas doesn't have state taxes and Kentucky does) and housing as affordable as down here, I'd move back HOME to Kentucky in a heartbeat. As it is, whenever I move, where ever I move, it's going to have to wait until I at least finish my undergrad degree. After that, we'll see what I can do!

Love you all!

Suze said...

oh, jenn, my heart is racing just thinking about it. i hope this is resolved soon. stay safe!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Well, last night passed without incident, other than strange lights in the backyard. I couldn't tell if it was a bright flashlight, the neighbor behind me's porch light flipping on and off, or lightning. Whenever I got up to look, I couldn't see anything. So finally so I wouldn't see the weird lights, I pulled the covers over my head, said a prayer to God to keep all in the house safe, and went to sleep.