Monday, February 16, 2009

Gack! What is that SMELL?!?!?

I haven't really had the energy to do the things I need to do. The house looks like crap, the dogs are in desperate need of baths and fur trims, etc. etc. I haven't had time to devote as much time as I need to packing up Dad's house and getting it ready to sell back to the original owner. I hadn't been down there in a couple of weeks, so Jamie and I went down there today. As soon as we opened the door, we could smell it. It was disgusting, horrendous, and immediately sent us both into coughing/sneezing/itching fits. It would seem that Dad had stopped a load of laundry in the middle of the cycle, leaving the washer full of water and clothes.... sometime prior to December 26. After nearly two months of being full of water and clothes, with the lid shut.... Can we say "Mold and mildew infestation?" I finished out the load, dumped the clothes into the trash and sealed the bag, then filled up the washer with nothing but water, bleach and pine sol. The house and the washing machine smelled much better after that. But can I just say, there for a while, "EWWWWWWW!"

2 comments:

Strangeite said...

Your story reminds me of when Anna and I bought our first house. It was a very small ranch style house originally owned by an old man and his wife. The wife had died about 20 years earlier and the husband had been in a nursing home for 5 years. The house remained completely untouched until the day we took possession. One of the bedroom closets was filled with home-canned "food". I use the term "food" loosely because the vast majority had turned into a mysterious black goop and identification of the original contents was impossible.

Anyway, my wife and grandfather were carefully removing the canned goods and gingerly placing them into a trashbag when the top shelf gave way creating a cascade effect of 30 year old canned goods toppling onto the next shelf of 30 year old canned goods, which in turn fell onto the next shelf.

Needless to say, the smell was quite "unique".

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Ummm... ick! LOL