Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Random Derailings of a One-Track Mind

It has been said that I have a one-track mind that often gets derailed. Okay, so I'm the one who said it. Big deal. It was still said, right? Anyhoo - the point is, this post does not have one subject, but many subjects I'll touch upon to bring those (happy few) who read my blog up to date on what is occuring in my part of the world these days.


After 11 years in and out of college, I have finally decided what I want to be when I grow up. I'm getting ready to go back to school to pursue a degree in either English Literature or Information Resources (depending on which of the two different colleges offering these two different online degrees will offer me more financial aid). Then I plan to get my Master's of Library Science. I've finally discovered that I would be a great children's librarian (so modest, aren't I?). For years, I've been reading adolescent and children's literature in addition to my own "grown up" favorite authors. I have been known to recommend books to children (whether I know them or just overhear them talking to staff at the local library). I read to Jamie's class at school about once a month, using all the different voices and accents I learned under Ms. Moore (she was such a neat lady!). I enjoy it, and the kids love it. I love kids (but don't have the patience to be a classroom teacher). I want to help kids get excited about the worlds to be found in books. So, there you have it. I'm almost 30 (5 months away - yikes!) and I'm just now deciding what I want to do. Hopefully I'll have it all finished by the time I'm 35 or so. Heck, Jamie will graduate high school when I'm 39!


Speaking of Jamie, he has responded very well to the combination of counseling and medication for his ADD. His last spelling quiz grade was an 82! His last spelling/reading assignment grade was a 100! Yay, Jamie! In about a week, he brought his overall grade up from a 54 to an 80! Now THAT's progress! To celebrate, I took him to a little carnival in the parking lot of one of the malls here and let him ride all the kiddie rides. In addition to an improvement in grades, there has been progress at home, too. I still have to redirect him quite a bit, but it's getting better. His self-esteem is getting higher, too. There for a while, he was really down on himself. He couldn't understand why he was having such a hard time while his classmates kept telling him it was easy. We're still playing with his dosages, so hopefully soon we'll find the minimum effective dose for him to take, and he won't have to struggle anymore.


I'll be taking my car to the shop soon to see if 1) the air conditioner can be fixed, and 2) if it will make the trip to Kentucky or not. I would rather find out if something is about to blow now, rather than out in the middle of Podunk in Arkansas or Tennessee! I'm so excited about this trip!


Looking back over this post, there sure are an inordinate number of exclamation points. If I didn't know better, I would swear this was written by the perky-cheerleader-type.

No comments: