Monday, May 15, 2006

Life Imitates Art

Jamie and I went to see a neat exhibit at the local museum of modern art. The author/illustrator of the Babar books wrote a book called "Babar's Museum of Art." He took famous masterpieces and redrew them as they would appear in Babar's fictitious world; so Whistler's Mother was an elephant, the Mona Lisa had a distinct elephantine bent, etc. There were activity cards where you could match the Babar version to the real painting and learn facts about the masterpieces. There was also a table that had copies of some of the paintings in the museum under the glass, and laminated cut-outs of the heads of the various Babar characters, so you could create your own pachydermic painting.

The exhibit was fun, but I felt I was in one of those "life imitates art" stories. I've been feeling decidedly unfemine and unattractive lately, so I kind of felt like all those elephants in those paintings could have represented me. Finding yourself physically resembling a bunch of elephants dressed up in human clothes is definitely NOT fun. I came home and looked at myself, I mean REALLY looked at myself for the first time in a long time, and I didn't like what I saw. Of course, I didn't like what I saw before, that's why I stopped really looking at myself. So I guess it's time for my annual self-loathing episode and concentrated effort to change my appearance. Maybe I'll succeed this year. Who knows?

Anyway, I'm preparing for my road trip back to Kentucky for my wonderful friend Ann's wedding! I'm very happy for her (and yes, I'll admit it, a tiny... okay, big.... bit envious). It couldn't happen to a nicer person! And Daniel is a sweetheart. Ann's whole family is wonderful (and also pretty much the only ones who ever read this blog). I can't wait to see them all! They pretty much adopted me and Jamie, and I can't wait to see them!

Gotta get back to work, so I can leave on time and go home and start packing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn
More people than you know prolly read what you write. These are your thoughts and shouldn't require any one to comment.

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

True, but it's nice to know when there is someone reading, so that I don't feel like I'm "shouting into a void", so to speak.