Saturday, May 27, 2006

The Prodigal Daughter Will Return

In the past few posts, I've digressed from the original purpose of this blog - our adjustment to San Antonio (which is, as I've stated before, the cultural capital of a foreign country). The differences between my old life and my new one were particularly obvious after my trip home for my wonderful friend Ann's wedding.

We had already been wearing shorts and tank tops for about a month - the temperatures were fluctuating between the 90s and 100s. As we were driving north for our visit, it became progressively colder. When we arrived in Fayette County, the skies opened up with a deluge of hail and rain. By the time we arrived at my other good friend Kendra's house (where we were staying) we were both freezing and wet. You see, the sunroof of my car leaks; however, this isn't usually a problem in San Antonio as it hardly ever rains. So it was pretty miserable being inside my car and still having a steady stream of water running down the back of my neck. But at least it kept me awake until we got to Kendra's house!

In our part of Texas, the land is pretty much flat, with only the occassional rise. When we got in Kentucky, it almost felt as though the world were pressing in on us (especially driving up the BG Parkway with all its high hills and valleys!)

But still, it was wonderful to be home. Kentucky is still home to me. I cried when we had to leave, as I didn't want to come back here. I'm getting ready to go back to school to take another stab at my degree, then grad school. Once I have that done, I'm pretty confident I'll be back up there. That's where my heart is. So, hopefully I'll be seeing you all in about 3-4 years!

No comments: