Friday, March 02, 2007

Bring Your Kid to Work Day

Okay, so it isn't officially "Bring your kid to work day". But it is for me. Jamie woke up sick this morning with a fever, cough, sore throat, chills, etc. Usually if the fever was mild and he was acting his normal self, I would send him to school anyway. But today was different for many reasons.

1) I jokingly said, "Well, if you don't go to school you don't get to go to soccer practice." Normally this would produce a response along the lines of "Gee, I feel better now. I'm going out to the bus stop now." Instead, he said he didn't mind, he hurt too bad to do soccer anyway. What???!?!?!!? My kid must REALLY be SICK. So I didn't make him go to school.

2) I called my boss to inform him of item #1. Bad news, though. No one else was going to be available to be in the office until at least 10 a.m., if not later. Someone has to be here to handle the phones, input new jobs, and make sure everything runs smoothly. Boss had a doctor's appointment of his own, his wife has school all day today, one engineer is teaching a class at one of our suppliers' facilities, and the other engineer is in Austin.

So, now Jamie is taking a nap on the couch across from my desk, and I'm sitting here wondering when the heck somebody else is going to get here so I can take my sick baby home. He has a doctor's appointment at 4:15 this afternoon. The sooner we get home, the sooner he and I can snuggle up together and take a nap.

No comments: