Monday, January 22, 2007

Sorry It's Been So Long!

Yikes - where has the month of January gone? Seems like just yesterday I put up a post about boogie-ing on New Year's Eve, and already 20-some odd days have gone by! Sheesh!

Here's what I've been up to that has prevented me from putting up any more posts:

  • Two friends of Rachel's (adult brothers) and one of the guys' six-year-old son crashed in our living room for most of the month of January. Due to no jobs for over six months, they had no money to pay rent and got evicted. They recently got new jobs, but the apartment company (despite an offer from the new boss to pay back rent and a couple of months in advance) decided to kick them out anyway. So they stayed with us. Seven people in a two bedroom one bath apartment made life interesting. We all spent a lot of time outdoors - even though the weather turned nasty and everything wound up coated in a 1/2" sheet of ice . We didn't care. We had to go outside to think.
  • School was supposed to start for me last week, but due to the housing situation and some other exciting news, I have yet to crack a book.
  • Jamie's birthday was a week ago this past Saturday. I looked up and realized my little boy is being erased by the young man he's becoming.
  • Speaking of birthdays, Joel's birthday was yesterday. Happy birthday, Bubby!
  • Work has been grueling with lots of lengthy reports needing to be finished before I even begin them, if you know what I mean...

AND, THE MOST EXCITING NEWS OF ALL!

Saturday, Rachel, Destiny, Jamie, Ziggy and I moved into a four bedroom two bathroom house! A house, a house, my kingdom for a house! Yay!!! I have my own room again. I have my bed back. My dog gets to choose which person he wants to curl up with at night (last night he did half in Jamie's room, half in mine). The kids have their own spaces! Woo hoo!!!

Oh, and Rachel's friends? Don't worry about them. We finagled a deal with the apartment complex that they got to take over my lease for the last two months. And their boss is helping them out with the rent and searching for a house when the apartment lease expires.

So thank you, God, for your many blessings and the way things worked out. Otherwise, we couldn't have gotten the house until the end of March, and who knows if it would even be on the market still.

9 comments:

Suze said...

SO good to see things are going well for you, Jenn, especially the move! I don't know how I'd deal with all that stress, but you seem to have come out of it no worse for the wear.

Animal said...

Hey, welcome back! And, good for you on all your good fortune. We're big believers in the "karma" principle over here, coupled with the idea that things generally happen for a reason, and eventually they get worked out.

As a johnny-come-lately to your blog, I feel a little lost on the relationships you keep mentioning; who are Rachel & Destiny that I've been reading about?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Ah, sorry to have confused you. Rachel is my best friend and roommate, and Destiny is her three-year-old daughter. Basically, since Rachel and I both are single moms, working full- or nearly-full-time and both of us are going to school full-time, we decided to combine households to help each other out with bills, schedules, child rearing, etc. With everything that each of us has going on, we had to create a non-traditional "family" unit of sorts. Have I cleared things up for you?

Becca said...

Jenn, awesome that you got through that and found a new house. I hope things settle down soon, since I miss our lunch chats!

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

I miss our lunch chats, too! If you aren't on a conference call, I'll call you this Friday at my lunch time. Will you be around?

Becca said...

I'll be around all week, actually. I don't go back to work until Monday.

Suze said...

hey jenn, did you and rachel BUY the house?

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

No, we're just renting. We don't know what our situations will be down the road, plus I'm not sure I want to commit to something that ties me to San Antonio like a house would. I want to be free to relocate anywhere. So, renting is fine for us for now.

Suze said...

fair enough. your comment about the house being "on the market" made me wonder, but i guess you meant the rental market. i'm SO happy for you guys!